Soups are one of the best culinary inventions ever. Tasty and rich in flavors, they nourish and warm us inside, and they are hardly overeaten because of their liquid basis. Today we are going to talk about one of the best and by the way the simplest soups you can try in America, chicken gnocchi soup.
A Bit of History: Where the Recipe of Chicken Gnocchi Soup Came From
Chicken is the basis for numerous soups and stews. That’s one of the healthiest types of protein which nourishes and does not add extra carbs to the daily menu. The next part of this soup is gnocchi, traditional pasta made in Italy in the form of small pieces of mashed potato pastry. Yet, you may be surprised, but although chicken gnocchi soup is often considered to be a Mediterranean or Italian dish, its roots lie in American cuisine.
In the 1970s, Italian cuisine was conquering the US. Due to numerous migrants from Italy, Italian bistros and restaurants were mushrooming. Their heritage was taken as the source of inspiration by American chefs, too. Especially the idea to match broth with tiny balls made of mashed potatoes with flour and eggs – namely, gnocchi. In Italy, gnocchi can be served in various ways. They are a full-fledged main course when matched with sauces and additives. They also can be a filling for soups. So, American cooks decided to add this Italian ingredient to nourishing chicken broth and combine it with vegetables and herbs, frequently even with mushrooms. The result became a beloved classic of American food.
The secret of the popularity of chicken gnocchi soup is based on three main reasons.
- It is nourishing, but not heavy to digest.
- It is simple to cook it yourself.
- It is versatile, and you can experiment with it by adding your loved vegetables and other ingredients.
Classy Recipe and Modern Updates for Chicken Gnocchi Soup
What is chicken gnocchi soup in its essence? The basic recipe consists of the following ingredients and processes.
- First, you need to cook a broth. Use chicken or its rest and combine them with a classy bouquet garni (herbs which enrich the flavor of the broth), an onion, carrots, some celery stems, salt, and pepper. Cook it for a couple of hours, maintaining medium heating.
- Then take boneless chicken parts (breasts, thighs, or legs) and dice them. Cook chicken in the pan using 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Prepare gnocchi. For this, boil some potatoes, mash them, and add an egg, salt and some flour to make pastry. Then roll it in a long rope and cut it to pieces. You can make this homemade gnocchi in advance and freeze them. Finally, you can take ready-made ones from your nearest mall.
- Make classic mirepoix – a mix of vegetables for soups which includes diced carrots, onions, and celery. Add it to the pan with your chicken and cook for a while. Mushrooms like portobello or oyster mushrooms can also be added at this stage.
- Deglaze the pan with a ½ cup of white wine and let it steam a bit. Then add the broth. Cook until it starts boiling, and then put some gnocchi in the soup.
- Do not forget about spices: black pepper, bay leaves, rosemary, and thyme leaves work well in this soup and add luxury flavors.
Do not let the soup overcook. Take it off the stove after your gnocchi starts to come up to the surface. This helps to preserve its ingredients from being too soft, they remain pleasing to bite and yet, they are cooked well.
Besides the basics, you can also experiment with other components and diversify your chicken gnocchi soup. For example, you can add to it:
- Garlic cloves to make it more spicy and flavored.
- Spinach leaves.
- Heavy cream or cream – it can be added at the stage of simmering veggies and chicken, right before you add some vine.
- Cannellini beans, cooked and puréed.
- Instead of cream you can also add a cup of classic roux sauce (made of butter, flour, milk, and nutmeg).
Yet, you can free your imagination and add something else to your taste.
Talking About Health: What Makes Chicken Gnocchi Soup a Healthy Meal
What made chicken gnocchi soup a must-try for HLS appreciators?
- It is rich in protein due to chicken pieces and broth.
- It has fewer carbs in its recipe.
- It provides you with vitamins and microelements contained in vegetables.
- The presence of herbs and garlic stimulates digestion and improves metabolism.
- It hydrates the body tip-top.
- 1 bowl of this soup contains from 250 calories, yet, it is a full-fledged main course.
What to Serve With Chicken Gnocchi Soup
And the last thing to consider. What to serve with chicken gnocchi soup? If you want it to be a high-protein meal, you can serve it with another chicken dish of the same origin – Tuscan creamy chicken. Besides, it tastes good with classy Italian pastries like focaccia and ciabatta. And for veggies lovers, you can eat it with classic Greek salad or Lemon Parmesan lettuce salad.
Chicken gnocchi soup is a good idea for any occasion. It tastes good in winter and in summer, and it is loved by children and adults both. In case you are not sure about your culinary skills, or you simply have no time to cook it, we will be glad to provide you with a bowl or two of this incredible and healthy meal cooked by our healthy meal prep and delivery service cooks.